Monday, 14 March 2011

Everyday Learning...

We’re pretty new to this whole Natural Learning business. At first I wondered how a child could possibly learn everything they need to know from just experiencing the world around them. Then just a few days ago I had an “Ah-ha!” moment. A moment in which I finally understood the beauty and simplicity of letting a child learn naturally.
I was putting a load of clothes in the washing machine when Boo came over and asked if he could help. He dragged his little step over so he could see what was going on, and the learning started. Boo mentioned how heavy the clothes were, so we talked about weight. We got the powder out and counted two tablespoons. We turned the washing machine on and talked about why we put it on the ‘Eco’ setting. Then we lifted the lid and had a look at the water flowing in. “Where does the water go Mum?” asked Boo. So a conversation about drains, water ways, pollution and the ocean followed.
In just a few minutes of doing an everyday task, my child had had a Maths, English, and Environment Lesson. Not to mention a boost in his self esteem from helping Mum. I think I’m going to like this Natural Learning thing :)    

1 comment: